Closing date: January 18, 2021
We are looking for a Journeyman Red Seal Carpenter or a very good handyman with many years of house Construction experience to construct, fabricate and install wooden and other structures according to specifications and to train potential apprentices. Your job will entail working in diverse settings to produce steady and functional infrastructure and products.
Besides having great hand dexterity and an eye for detail, we are looking for someone who will have the ability to manage teams, train, manage deadlines and budgets. The ideal candidate will also have good knowledge of wood properties and other carpentry materials, and experience in training people who are ne and interested in pursuing a career in carpentry . Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential to sustain a good safety culture.
The goal is to contribute to the construction and maintenance of strong and long-lasting
buildings and products.
• Developing training curriculums for a job corps and training Job corps participants
• Read blueprints, drawings and sketches to fully grasp requirements
• Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed to provide reasonably accurate estimates for budgets
• Cut, shape and smooth lumber and other material (e.g. fiberglass) according to measurements
• Build window frames, doors frames, staircases and frame buildings by using raw materials or pre-constructed items
• Lay out floorings, roofing or drywalls ensuring they are leveled and compatible
• Inspect places and conduct repairs or maintenance
• Build scaffolding and other construction structures
• Manage staff and train employees
• Manage budgets and deadlines
• Proven experience as carpenter and supervision experience
• Proven experience in training new trainees
• Experience in developing and managing curriculums and supervising training
• Experience in managing teams
• Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
• Experience with budgeting and meeting deadlines
• Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
• Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.)
• Ability to read technical documents and drawings
• Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
• Good knowledge of English
• Good understanding of basic math
• Good physical condition and endurance
• High school diploma; Successful completion of a carpentry apprenticeship program is required
• Good human relations, and communication skills
• Experience in working with First Nations is considered an asset.
Please send resumes to Joanne Tonneson @ firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18, 2021.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only selected candidates will be contacted.